Bardonecchia hosted the first Italian ski championships in 1909, and so has over a century's tradition as a ski resort. In recognition of its high regard it was selected to host all of the 2006 Winter Olympic snowboard events. It is a modern ski resort located in a sunny valley at 1312m with all the amenities winter sports enthusiasts could possibly require. The traditional Italian town is set against a stunning mountain backdrop with peaks rising to over 3500m, revealing breath-taking views in all directions. Recently featured in The Telegraph it affirms that Bardonecchia is possibly the most underrated ski resort in Italy.
It is a skiing and boarding paradise with well groomed pistes and Olympic snow parks. An extensive network of snow cannons guarantees an excellent snow base throughout the season. With 23 ski lifts and over 100 kms of varied pistes Bardonecchia offers a vast array of challenges for all standards of skier.
There is something for everyone in Bardonecchia, making your chalet holiday enjoyable for all the family. Non-skiers among your party will find there are plenty of activities to try:
- Cross-Country skiing and Snowshoe trekking- 3 courses at Pian del Colle are graded in difficulty from just 1.5 km up to a demanding 7 km.
- Pedestrians can take the lifts at Campo Smith, Melezet and Jafferau to meet up with friends for lunch on the slopes.
- Snowcat Safari- Be transported up the slopes to mountain-top restaurants for a traditional Italian dinner.
- Tennis- Indoor courts mean you can enjoy this sport all year round.
- Swimming- the local pool is an ideal place to soak those aching muscles.
- Ice Skating- at the outdoor rink at the Sports centre.
- Spa day and massage at the Hotel Rive in Campo Smith.
- Day trip to Turin by train.